Monday, October 29, 2007

The Summer of my Unencumbrance




Too often I acquire projects, especially if they are of a mechanical nature. Over my college years, I found quite a few projects. The idea was that when I finished college, I would magically have oodles and oodles of time to restore, repair, rebuild, etc. During classes, I found my mind wandering to magical restoration land, wherein I solved various and sundry mechanical maladies. I saw in my minds eye (to use church argot) myself as the weird guy that drove his weird motorcycle/truck/car through town and turned the stunned heads of my fellow villagers. What I really became was the super stressed out guy that maintained a fleet of motorcycles, three wheelers, cars, trucks, SUVs, go-karts, rabbits, chickens, and a 102 year old home with a 60 year old coal furnace. Don’t let me forget to mention my church callings!

I had an epiphany while talking to my boss one day. She said, “People with so many projects don’t realize how much energy they put into keeping all of that stuff.” So true. I never had time to enjoy any of them, because I could only afford to do the bare minimum. Most of my motorcycles were never even touched. In fact, I felt suffocated by the very things that were suppose to bring me joy.

I must admit that this little realization caused me to be ruthless to some of my machines. You see, they were hurting me and I was a bad master. It was like that cute puppy you bought and now you don’t have time to love. And the puppy has a problem known as a butthole. And that butthole poops everywhere. And you have to clean the poop. What I am really trying to say is that my machines have metaphorical buttholes.

Metaphorical Butthole #1
1970 Suzuki TS125II Stinger. I had some real hangups parting ways with this one. I love the lines on this bike. The picture you see here is not mine. The picture is of a bike that is restored.








Metaphorical Butthole #2
1973 Kawasaki F11 Enduro. The hills of Eureka won’t be the same without you.




Metaphorical Butthole #3
1973 Yamaha DT250. This was another classic. Alas, I have other, better toys to play with.


Metaphorical Butthole #4
There was also an old go-kart frame, which I chopped in half and threw in a dumpster. Goodbye and good riddins.

Metaphorical Butthole #5
In addition, there were quite a few bikes and assorted parts that made their way to my trash can.

Well, I’m not quite finished getting rid of stuff, but I am well on my way. Wish me luck in this endeavor. It has been a relief encumbering myself no more. I find that after each of the offending items is removed, I feel peace and breathe a little easier.

“The things you own end up owning you.” Tyler Durden

16 comments:

JT42 said...

I admonish your strength my brother, especially after choosing these restored pictures to post. It is hard to see somthing in vision and walk away. Truly you will be blessed, as you lay these burdens to rest. Keep on trucking. Big Jake

Grifter said...

You know, maybe I can take a butthole off your hands for you.

Do you have any other enduros? OR, do you happen to have a mid 70's Honda CB 350?

ibid said...

An impressive and difficult venture. I don't envy you here. kudos.

G-man said...

Big J,

It was hard and liberating all at once. There are still plenty of visions that keep me going. I still have four motorcycles, and a gaping hole in my garage. Which is nice, maybe I can even put a car in there.

Love ya'

Anonymous said...

Greg, don’t fill that valuable void! I too put asunder many burdensome projects and have but three now(two now that the troopers all fixed), and it makes for some nice elbow room. Grifter, please don’t temp G-man. I have the cousin of the very bike you are pondering, a CB 350-four. I wish that my brother would like to keep this family of classics together

Grifter said...

I used to have the twin myself. Old Man Grover (my neighbor) gave it to me for free. It was a beast, and while I was in Brazil, it got taken to a bone yard in Teton, Idaho, for some reason.

I am just keeping my eyes open, and sorry J: I can't help but tempt people--it's how God made me.

G-man said...

Grifter,

I am so glad you commented. I thought that my previous Dream Theater post would have brought you out of your lair.

I have had at least 3 of those little twins. I currently do have a 1973 CL350. It is the scrambler version with the high pipes. Everything else is quite similar. Mi Papi gave it to me and so I can't part with it for sentimental reasons. However, I am always motorcycle hunting as is Big J (whom you might very well have known at sometime, he is a full-time Rexburger, whereas I spent my summers and the first half of my kidhood there). Please e-mail Z asking for my e-mail address and make a wish list. It would be my honor to at least keep my eyes and ears open for you. Seriously, I would love it.

About the Enduros.....if I would have only known. I would have given every one of them to you. There is no more, but there may be some on the horizon. Again e-mail Z so that we can communicate.

P.S.- I went to a boneyard in Teton once, I even took some carb parts off of a CB350.

G-man said...

Ibid,
You actually have helped me with this. I was able to take something clogging up space and trade it for something that will get used.

Thanks for the trade.

Thanks for always commenting.

G

G-man said...

Big Jake,

I propose a ride in the distant future. I'll ride my twin, you will ride your quad, Dad will be on his classic Beemer, The professor will be on some posh BMW, the soon to be married brother will ride a minivan with 11 kids, and J-Dawg will ride Grandmother's riding lawn mower. Maybe we can get Jason to ride Dad's old cafe Kow.

Sounds like a riot.

Anonymous said...

G, sounds good though you would be interested in J-dawg's little 250 criuser he bartered from Pa. I think Jason would enjoy it, he takes the thing out once a year. Does anyone know how to supercharge a motorcycle? I've gained a little and that thing strugled as it was. Big Jake

Jake said...

Any post you can work a Fight Club reference in is a good post. "I am Jack's smirking revenge." "I am Jack's raging bile duct."

G-man said...

Big J,

I have seen one bike with a custom turbocharger. I haven't the slightest clue (or even interest) about how to do that.

Teach yourself, then teach me.

G-man said...

Professor,

I had to look that quote up. That movie is just so darn full of good quotes. I may have to watch it again soon.

Miss ya', love ya'

Jared said...

Greg,

have you not heard the saying, "If you have not used it in 6 months, THROW IT AWAY (Or Give to some other pack rat that will clutter his unused space in his garage, Or the Top Drawer of his dresser.)You all know someone like that. I am going to be doing some Major Cleaning out of storage rooms as we prepare to move into our new townhome. Remember that. "Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing. Like the first monkey shot into space" Tyler Durden, Fight Club

G-man said...

Jared,
It is good to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by.

Too true little bro. I think that the six month rule is good general policy. And I appreciate the Fight Club comment.

Congrats on the new pad! Wrestle Harry for me.

Love ya'

Anonymous said...

Bravo, seems brilliant idea to me is