Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not Another Project!


This little gem is a 1973 Honda CT70. I picked it up for an undisclosed amount from a fellow Eurekan. It is going to be our new project. A while back, I got on this kick to build a go-kart. My oldest son and I (in the red shirt) drew up some plans based upon 20" BMX bikes. It was going to be awesome. We even put a bulletin up at the post office stating our need of old bicycles. We received around ten. Including some sweet GT frames, which we just rebuilt for my two boys.

Unfortunately, things began to go awry. I just couldn’t make the design not clunky and nasty looking. Not to mention the amount of usable steel on the bike frame was a lot less than I had originally anticipated. So, we decided against pursuing the go-kart/bicycle idea further. But, I still had a promise to keep.


I went to the local motorcycle guru here in Eureka and he had this thing rusting in his yard. After a little bartering, it was mine. I think it is the perfect setup for me and mine. The bike is a dual sport. Meaning that it is legal both on and off street. It is an automatic, good for the Goddess, and beginning riders. The best part of the deal is that there is an unlimited amount of parts to be had, because they are being reproduced by a Chinese corporation. This includes a 125cc motor that can take this steel pony to speeds of over 70 mph. Tempting, but I don’t like the idea of a ten year old riding that fast (or even half that fast).


Lately I have been reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I recommend this book heartily. The best part of this project is that it fits right into my idea of quality in so many ways. I will be learning how this bike works extensively because every part will be taken off and inspected. We have already begun stripping it down to the frame. My boy likes the idea of "militarizing" it. As a result of this, we purchased a special gunsmithing paint in olive drab. Stay tuned, but don’t hold your breath. Our estimated finish time is the spring.

10 comments:

Jake said...

Can't wait to see it!! If only we could put it in the back of a Ford Courier and head to Gas-N-Go for nachos and Pepsi...

G-man said...

Too true, you'll get a sneak peak when you come in October. Get ready, anarchy and general mayhem is sure to follow. Gun powder always smells good on a Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I noticed something peculiar, that a 70's model Aint it? Happen to have the same brake setup of that RV-90 deal out in the shed. Madder fact, them head studs and all such look the same just a bigger piston. I found me a parts bike once in that there land fill if yar needen anything. Just call cousin Jasper, heal set ya right.

Anonymous said...

Sa-weet ride! What a fun little motorcycle. Wish I were coming next month to see ya'll.

JT42 said...

No offense, but the Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is one of the weirdest books I have ever read. Yep, it was required in high school and I totally didn't understand it. Maybe that's because it was high school...anyway, very cool bike. I hope you and Jake get some good quality time from this project. :)

G-man said...

Big Jake,

You should restore your RV-90. NO MORE HACKING crap together. It would be awesome to ride some of our stellar trails here with you.

G-man said...

Kerrie,

Thanks kiddo'. Will you ride it when we finish it?

G-man said...

Terressa,

To each their own.

I taught high school for a brief, wonderful time. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is too complex for the average high school student. Frankly, I don't think I would have understood it 3 years ago. I don't think I understood all of it even now.

Much love,
G

Anonymous said...

G-man, I kid you not. I have two (2) of them. So if you needed a part to beef up the brakes or an exaust to modify or retrofit I gots it. E-mail me with the info on your parts dealer though. Ive hit a dead end. Seized piston and oil pump. Love to ride with ya, Big Jake

G-man said...

Big Jake,

Thanks for the offer, but no. I don't want to do any major mods. Especially when parts are plentiful and cheap.

I'll e-mail you about your parts.