Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I am not ashamed II

In a much earlier post I listed my favorite guitar solos. It was a fun post because everyone commented on their favorite guitar work. If you recall, I thought that the best rock solo was by Vernon Reed of Living Color in the song “Cult of Personality.” It is the kind of guitar work that one either loves or hates. The video above is a live version of that song done on The Arsenio Hall Show a very, very, long time ago. It is a raw version of the song, and the solo, while not completely dissimilar to the recorded version, is not the same. I like the this version of the song as well as the recorded solo because it is very jazzy and betrays Reed’s jazz roots. I’m not sure people who don’t play guitar will appreciate it. Enjoy.

6 comments:

AG said...

First off, that was impressive. While I had heard the song many times as I also enjoyed listening to this song in my youth, I had never seen a live performance and let's face it, that man can play.

However, this was a humorous post for me. I really enjoyed as the lead singer heads off into the crowd and frequently passes this old couple where the wife keeps looking at him while the husband looks pissed off at the fact that he is hearing the young kids music. Maybe they made it to the wrong studio when they really wanted Lawrence Welk.

Jake said...

When I'm on national television, I generally tuck my tank top in to my neon biker shorts.

G-man said...

AG,

I noticed that too. The crowd is pretty dead. However, I would have just stood there like a stone; red-faced from all of the attention. So, I cannot judge too harshly. I did see the old dude just looking straight ahead, it seemed like he just wanted it to all go away.

Poor ol' bugger.

G-man said...

Professor,

Well...if you tuck in, it shows your good manners. I kind of miss neon stuff.

Bike pants only look good on the opposite sex. What the holy crap are they for anyway? Do they make the ride so much better? Are they so much more drastically aerodynamic than say....NORMAL CLOTHES? What is it with those things?

Grifter said...

What kills me about this is, yeah, when Corey Glover wanders off into the crowd of a talk show while performing a song called "Cult of Personality." I would guess that the irony was lost on the crowd.

I am so glad you posted this. I have always admired this band. The breakdown after the Kennedy soundbyte at the end of this song makes me want to tear doors from their hinges.

G-man said...

Grifter,

As always, thank you for commenting. The irony was lost on both Z and I until your comment. So, good catch there mate. I especially like the ultra uber fast drum rolls at the very end.