Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Weekend Report

This last weekend was interesting. The Goddess and I got out on the town without the stinkers. I believe that this is the second time since our first child was born (10 years ago) that we have been on an overnight date. We didn’t do anything super exciting. Some good friends came along to keep us company. It was an evening of fine conversation and exquisite food.

We enjoyed the grub at Tucanos, a posh Brazilian meat house in the river bottoms of Provo. It is in a strip mall area that is awash with falseness. The kind of place that you could cruise for stupid rich girls when you were a teenager. The kind of place that gives meaning to the lives of the insecure. It is where someone goes that doesn’t know how to live. And I was there eating meat. And it tasted like Prometheus was in the kitchen. Delectable.

We stayed at the Days Inn and the next morning went shopping at some of the Goddess’ usual haunts. This time we ate at The Gallo Giro in Provo. This place is the real deal. If you are ever in Provo, you need to eat there.

Soon thereafter, we went to Grandma’s and got our kids, whom we missed. Sunday morning was Stake Conference (or better known as No Church Day). Some folks get all worked up about missing Stake Conference. I don’t consider being stuck in a hot building with 1000 other people, taking kids to the bathroom, taking cranky toddlers into an overcrowded waiting room, and barely hearing the message for two hours, a spiritual experience. It is an exercise for a zealot and I leave angry. My attitude is likely to change as my stinkers get older. Don’t worry, I am not doomed to apostasy; just good old pragmatism (the enemy of zealots everywhere).

All in all it was a nice weekend.

10 comments:

ibid said...

My justification on why stake Conference is optional at best is the lack of the sacrament. If the true purpose of church, as it is often touted, is to partake of the flesh and blood then a meeting where that doesn't take place is not mandatory. My wife disagrees, but I am so very right. Regardless, I am the priesthood holder and thusly, ruler.

G-man said...

That is a fine rationalization my friend. I wonder if this will start a debate; yeah even a blog war.

Well my minions, let slip the dogs of war.


P.S. I am also the ruler at home. I rule so good.

Anonymous said...

bless you my son- an overnighter away from the little rabbit killers (i`ve seen the photos!) and partaking of the finest meats and cheeses AND hopefully a happy ending AND sundays off! sounds like you are renewed and invigorated.
love poppy
p.s. that you think you rule anywhere is one of kindest illusions of all.

Anonymous said...

hey greg-tell me who this ibid guy is. he`s good!
pop

Jake said...

First: Heaven = endless Garlic Sirloin at Tucanos.

Second: Voodoo and Ibid. You make a helluvan argument. The spiritual returns I get from Stake Conference (and church) have diminished significantly since child #1 arrived. I imagine that the spiritual returns with four kids are NEGATIVE--at least for the parents. I guess that's why its important to do the stuff at home...since we our kids impair what we get it at church.

What I'm getting at is that as you get older you get more out of your personal learning than you did when you were a kid. And you get less out of church than you did when you were a kid.

Third: As for ruling at home, most men are like Democrats in Utah---they may hold the office, yet are still powerless.

G-man said...

Dad,

Ahhhhh yes, the happy ending. 'Tis true what you say about your Grandkillers.

And I do rule, I do, I do, I do. No one is better at complicating the simple than I.

About Ibid. He's just a different animal. Pervayor of the soft sciences. Pipe smoker. Wisher for the good herb. Halo Master Chief. Wii Wanter. Budding fly fisher. Flipper offer. Usul Metro. Family Feud guru. Martin lover, Taylor hater. All this and so much more.

Thanks for commenting POP.

G-man said...

Professor,
Good call as always. Very insightful. I like how you agreed and still wouldn't let me off the hook. I expect nothing less from you.

Lots of love

G

AG said...

I'm just jazzed to see that Granpa Fuzze used the phrase "finest meats and cheeses". G-man, a day will come again when we shall enjoy the finest meats and cheeses under a tall tree with overly delicious drink in hand. I foresee this.

Also, why are you even trying to rationalize not going to stake conference? As ruler, you do not need to explain yourself.

G-man said...

AG,

When are we going to start our cheese making adventures??

I look forward to homemade antelope jerky, caffeine free Mountain Dew, and home made mozzarella.

When, when, when?

AG said...

In time. We first need to assemble our supplies which may take time. Then, we shall produce our finest cheeses. Perhaps we will make it from cows milk, goat milk, or the exotic pit bull milk. In any case, it will be a glorious day of self-sufficient living.