Friday, December 19, 2008

Coming Out of the Closet

So, I just watched Clone Wars.


I declare unto the world on this day that I am through being used and abused by the Star Wars franchise. Never again Lucas, never, never, never again.


I have lost the beautiful wonder and fascination that I felt as a boy when watching Star Wars. I remember my first Stars Wars experience like I remember my first kiss. I actually watched Return of the Jedi first. When Luke jumped off of the plank and started choppin’ up the bad dudes, I was hooked. Who wasn’t?


A long time ago, at an employer far, far away, Darren Zufelt sent me an article about Star Wars; the jest of the article was simple: most Star Wars fans actually hate George Lucas. The article was spot on. Yet, I still remained loyal, even though I secretly agreed.


Now, I am coming out of the closet, so to speak. I am breaking with orthodox geekery. I am turning my back on my beloved nerdy self. And it’s all because of Clone Wars. I’m like a whipped puppy; looking for love and finding only a snaggle toothed letdown.


The thing that bothers me most, is that I think that Lucas has now set the bar for future nerd/cult followings. I am weary of the Superman franchise. I am hopeful for the Batman franchise, but we’ll see; comic book movies generally flop on the third serving. The first movie is like a fine sushi bar, the second is authentic Italian, and the third is a happy meal. Think on these things my brethren and sistren, you’ll come to accept it as unadulterated truth (remember the neon Batman movie).


Maybe there is hope. Wolverine is coming out. Watchmen is on its depressing way. I keep fasting and praying for The Flash movie, but it looks doubtful that it will ever happen. Perhaps The Hobbit will satisfy my cravings.


Tell me my friends, what’s a geek to do?

4 comments:

ibid said...

i can't comment now, busy busy...but I have a ton to say on this subject. so on the third day, look to the east.

good to see you posting again.

In the interim riddle me this: can it ever be bad to have too much of something that you love?

When Gillz said this same thing I wrote this: I fully plan to not love it as much as Empire Strikes Back or Episode III but it will still entertain me and I will get to see cool uses for the force and light sabers that I would not have previously thought of. That makes mt giddy and want to pee. So I say bring it on...and serve it hot.

G-man said...

Z,

You got to this posting quickly. Hroom, hroom, yes, yes, you mustn't be too hasty with your reply. I am waiting eagerly.

I do believe there can be too much of a good thing. Little doses of joy are what's best for me. It also depends upon the thing.

I didn't know that Gillz had written about this. I am a little embarrassed, as she could write about it a million trillion times better than I ever could. That little Kingsolver.

Anonymous said...

voodoo man- har u? maybe i`ll post more thoughts later but for now let me just say that anything hollywood gets their greedy subhuman claws on turns to warm lowest denominator shit. witness any vampire series or star wars or star trek or sex and the city or anything with robin williams in it. or angelina jolie.
aaarrrrgh!
more later.
idaho fuzz
lets skype!

AG said...

I have not yet seen the Clone Wars and this post has just prolonged any possible future viewing. Star Wars as a whole is a good story, but the man who often chooses how to tell it sucks. While he gave us Darth Vader and Leia, he also gave us Jar Jar and that wannabe actor playing Anakin in Episode I. Let's celebrate the good about Star Wars and forget about Lucas' failures. Patriarch, you and I have talked on many occasions about how we could produce better movies that would span several genres. We know what the people want.