Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Here is something to ponder. Since I am a guitarist, I need to ask the question; what is the greatest guitar on a song you have ever heard? Notice I did not say guitar solo, but if it is a solo that is perfectly alright. My ideas of a great song change all of the time, so don't be afraid of saying something you won't agree with later. Here are my favorites at this time.

Greatest guitar solo ever (and I mean forever and ever and ever): Cult of Personality-by Living Colour specifically Vernon Reid

Honorable Mention: Guitar solo on Comfortably Numb-by Pink Floyd specifically David Gilmour

Great songs:
"Subdivisions" Rush
"Aenema" Tool
"Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" Van Halen
"5150" Van Halen
The entire Cream reunion DVD
The entire "Rush in Rio" DVD
"Pleiades" King's X
"Papa was a Rolling Stone" The Temptations
The Messiah in a live music setting (alright, I've never experienced the Messiah live, but I know it would be awesome!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how much guitar is in it, but I like "stairway to heaven" by Led Zepplin. It speaks to me and tells me the secret riddles to life. Also I really like, Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear the Reaper, Dexie's Midnight Runners Comon' Eileen, and My very favorite song of all time Ohh Child by the Five Stair Steps.

Anonymous said...

hey voodoo boy- heres some of my favorites
eric clapton-live version of crossroads
mark tremonti- anything of creed and alterbridge
junior brown-great guitar and steel guitar
stevie ray vaughn-STRAT GOD!
vernon reid(gregs fave)- including "meter man" and my favorite "openletter to a landlord"
david gilmour-comfortably numb"
eddie VH-"hot fot teacher!"
wes montgomery-greatest jazz
django reinhardt-greatest prewar jazz and swing

just some of the best, im sure J.R. has more. good guitar elevates the soul!
poppy

G-man said...

Thanks for commenting.

I love the solo in Stairway to Heaven and yes... it was the first song I learned to play. Blue Oyster Cult "I got a fever for more cowbell!" Stephen King used Don't Fear the Reaper during the plague scenes in "The Stand," I think it is one of the reasons I love the film (even if it was a made for TV movie!) There is a great punk remake of C'mon Eileen that is just awesome. Don't really know the Five Stair Steps.

Pop-
Thanks for commenting.

Those are some good ones.

Stevie Ray is a strat God. Jimi and Stevie are jamming in heaven with Keith Moon and John Bonham playing dual skins, whilst Geddy Lee is proving his virtuosity by jamming with them in spirit form. Oh and Layne Staley is singing, wierd huh!

Mark Tremonti always surprises me, ie. The solo in "You Stand Here With Me" (or something like that, it's on the Weathered album).

Anonymous said...

You can listen to a sample of Ohh Child by the Five Stair steps at amazon.com "listen to samples"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QXCQ/qid=1142535604/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6045107-2844820?n=507846&s=music&v=glance

Kelli France said...

I don't know. I really like the one from New Kids on the Block, "Hanging Tough"-that was a good one!

Scott said...

Gregorio -
This is Jakes cool brother-in-law Scott. I don't know a whole lot about music except that I like it, a lot. Jake made mention of Tim Reynolds, I saw him once in concert, and he knows how to play. You are a good fetch.