Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I have been working for some time on a History Education degree at Utah Valley State College. I am a senior now and hopefully I will finish the confounded thing by this Christmas. At any rate, throughout the years I’ve grown close to a few other students and professors.

Here are a few of my instructors:

http://www.uvsc.edu/profpages/view.cfm?user=10001329 Meet Professor Snedegar, or as he prefers Keith. This is my all time favorite professor. He teaches in what I call “English lecture.” When I am in his class I feel like I am at a prestigious university in a far off land. His knowledge is a mile wide and a mile deep.

http://www.uvsc.edu/profpages/view.cfm?user=10008272 This old guy is a walking legend on campus. He only speaks 15 or so languages and has forgotten more history than I’ll ever learn. If you have the opportunity to be confused in his classes for a semester, consider yourself blessed.

http://www.uvsc.edu/profpages/view.cfm?user=10001727 The ever controversial Professor Bennett. She will pull the rug out from under you and then make you remember why. Her class was an immense challenge and a grand learning experience.

http://www.uvsc.edu/profpages/view.cfm?user=10001426 If you think I’m a crappy writer now you should read the crap I wrote before Kat Brown’s grueling class. She IS the teacher who teaches history majors to write at UVSC. She has a biting, sarcastic wit that makes her classes fun and educational. Plus, and a big plus it is, she is a lot cuter than Alex Stecker.

I could not find a web page for the best adjunct professor in UVSC’s arsenal; Rick Fish. This guy is hardcore! He came from professional history so you know he knows his stuff. The fact that he is adjunct speaks volumes for the antiquated snobbery found at universities. Fools, asses, petty administrators, this man is the exception to your bourgeoisie zealousness (how is that for low-class professor speak). It is a downright travesty that he is still adjunct. For those of you responsible for this injustice….screw you! A pox on you and your stupid ways.

There is nothing like the idiocy of academia.

There are a lot of students who are doing history as a jump to law school. And most don’t really carry a passion for the discipline. There are also those that think that history is an easy route to a degree. Most are usually weeded out even before any sort of official matriculation. There are a few who are assuredly headed for scholarly greatness.

Of all the friends I’ve made (that includes you Darrin) and professors I’ve learned from, there is no one I admire more than David Ssejinja. David is a man living for something worthy. He has what I believe is a quality of life that most never even glimpse. In class David is mostly quiet, except when there is laughter. And his laughter is loud and infectious! His comments are intelligent and usually put a different spin on things (which is very important in the discipline of history). David hails from Uganda and is committed to helping the disadvantage people of his country through his foundation.

http://www.ssejinja.org/

I know David personally and he is trustworthy. His foundation gives in clear and practical ways. So, please give 'til it hurts.

2 comments:

G-man said...

Thanks brother for leaving a comment. It really is a shame about professor Fish. So much so, that I wonder if I could put together a petition or something asking the college to make it right.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you say about Kat and Dave.

At this very moment I am NOT writing a paper for a Kat class. I think an E would balance out my transcripts pretty nice. Blah.

~Z