Monday, April 02, 2007

I cannot convey the real sadness I felt upon learning of Jeff Cooper’s death. Every month I awaited Cooper’s Commentaries. I even used his writing as a tool to help me with my schooling. I would read a little Cooper before writing a paper. I loved how he referred to himself as "we." It was so aristocratic, but not snobbish for the sake of snobbery. How I would hope that a little of his wonderful prose would rub off.

Cooper was a harvester of excellence. I found his words inspiring. He was so much more than the father of modern pistol fighting. His writing hearkened me back to a time of simple chivalry and order that probably never existed on a huge scale, but ought to have. Cooper also was a philosopher of the highest caliber. Anyone who read his work for any period of time could see that the point was rarely about guns.

Fair winds and following seas Marine.

If you'd like to read some of Jeff Cooper's works they can be found here:

http://dvc.org.uk/jeff/

No comments: