Wednesday, April 18, 2007

So, Richard Dutcher is leaving. I can’t say I am wholly surprised. Art and Mormon culture seem almost incompatible. I wish him well. I have loved every movie he’s made. I especially think that States of Grace was packed full of meaning. In fact, it was one of the better movies of the year.
He really is the Godfather of the Mormon film genre. I found his movies to be a breath of fresh air in a culture that has gone stale. I await Fallen and think that he is alone in uncharted territory with the subject matter of the movie.
In the meantime, I’ve got an idea. Why don’t we all just do our best to be Christian and not make any misguided or zealous judgement calls. Why don’t we smile and genuinely mean it when we happen upon circumstances like these or when dealing with someone not of our faith or who has left our faith. You know, live by example. We should pay attention to the old adage that we should never miss an opportunity to keep our mouths shut. There are far too many cowards who share the Mormon religion and have a lot of nasty, mean things to say about Dutcher. They seem to be overly concerned with being good Mormons and end up being lousy Christians (thanks DZ!).

As Mormons we can be better.

Be nice, be happy, love much.

2 comments:

ibid said...

While I remain unconvinced that Dutcher or anyone can claim that Mormon film is worth watching, you still hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head, my young man...Mormons everywhere need to be better Christians. Good post.

Jake said...

I feel the same way about Richard Dutcher. In a way, he's a pioneer. I'm not surprised that he left the Church.

And frankly, I don't think it is sad, as some people responding to the article intoned. He left on his terms and with a completely open mind to the opportunity of returning. What would be sad is if he left in a huff, angered by the do-gooders in his Mapleton neighborhood, who so politely tried to execute fellowshipping by passing neighborly judgment. I don't think it's sad because I've seen many fall. In fact, I've seen everyone fall, becoming inactive if but for a moment: the 2 minute smoke of a cigar, the 10 second tirade of under-the-breath cursewords at an umpire, or the instantaneous judgment of a neighbor.

What's sad is not acknowledging that life is long--infinite--and not realizing that there IS time to make amends--infinite time--for me, you and Richard Dutcher.