Monday, April 16, 2007


Now that I am not eating, breathing, and crapping school. I’ve tried to reignite some old hobbies. The first which is playing the guitar. I’ve got a cool looking strat knockoff that my Pop built me many moons ago. I just love this thing. He built it with just a humbucker and a volume knob. I think he did this because of my love of Edward Van Halen’s famed brown tone and the single humbucker, one volume pot Frankenstrat that he played. He even strung it with the same guage strings that Van Halen used. It has been an awesome axe.
As far as tone, the guitar has the twang that is heard by most strats (I can hear all of the Les Paul players snicker). However, I am from the early 90's, late 80's school of playing and I like a sound that has a lot of treble and bass, with just a little mids. So, a Strat style sound through a Mesa Boogie style rectifier is right up my alley. Besides, with amp modeling technology these days, I can achieve the tone of my deepest desires with almost any axe.
The old girl needs a little fixing. When I am strumming or picking, if I strike the volume knob the guitar will go silent until I smack the volume knob again. Also, sometimes when I flex the tremolo, I’ll hit the volume knob causing the same problem. I think I am going to replace and move the volume pot. At the very least, I’ll be replacing it. I also really, really need to give her a bath. I may or may not install a Floyd Rose tremolo system on this. I swore those off a long time ago, but I just love their capabilities too much to give up on them. Mark my words, one day one of my electric axes will have a Floyd Rose or the like.
Sorry, no pictures yet, my digital camera has been a blessing, but at the same time, it is a finicky old dog.
Incidentally, you can buy a copy of Van Halen’s original axe from Fender, its only $25,000!!

3 comments:

Jake said...

YES!! Go for the Floyd Rose!

Anonymous said...

no no no to the floyd rose on that particular strat copy. look on ebay for a body(like an ibanez or washburn) and build from there. i personally dont like floyd roses or even whammys of any kind, but you should go for it, just on some other axe.
love poppy

G-man said...

No worries Pop. I'll be installing the Floyd Rose in that old Vox guitar. Since you hacked the holy hell out of it (that wasn't a rare classic guitar or anything ding dong). I figure whats a few more holes in the body. Seriously, that Vox is gonna' be one funky axe whenever I actually do it. So you can rest assured, my Strat stays with a Strat tremolo. But Strats do OK with the Floyd Rose, remember Prince at the Super Bowl?