Monday, February 25, 2008

Blood on My Hands

I spent the weekend with blood on my hands. I do not say this with some sort of redneck pride, which you must know by now I detest. You see, I raise chickens and rabbits. I do it for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, I like to control (at least to a small degree) the food that my family eats. I think that modern practices of meat processing and commercial farming leaves too much at risk. I did not have to go to PETA’s web site to learn this; I saw it first hand. Secondly, I think it is good for my children to have the responsibility of caring for something. Every day, they have to feed and water the rabbits and chickens. Every so often they get to clean the hutches and coop. And this weekend they participated in the slaughter and butchering of these creatures. Thirdly, raising and eating these animals brings me closer to living.

It is always sobering to kill and should not be taken lightly. I really believe that this is the reason that the Word of Wisdom so strongly emphasized that meat should be eaten sparingly. I found, to my shame, that I am hypocrite in this regard.

The process was not enjoyable. However, it brought a deeper sense of being alive than I experience during the zombie cubicle living routine that I am slowly losing my soul to. As I went through the tedious work of killing, plucking or skinning, gutting and preparing the meat; I couldn’t help but feel that we are all so disconnected from life, we have become californian. Everything we do is canned. From our meat to our entertainment to our architecture. It all comes in neat, sterile packages. There is no emotional exchange that takes place. In other words, when I eat a rabbit that I have raised and butchered, I think about the life that I took so that I could have life; and I eat less and with more reverence. It is the same exchange I feel when eating an animal I have hunted or fish that I have caught.

I mourn that our culture has lost this thing.

11 comments:

ibid said...

I am glad for folks of your ilk.

Personally, I draw the line a fishing and have yet to eat what I have caught, just make them late for something. But I have eaten fresh elk and deer and there is something to be said for the quality. Kudos.

If the pesky cubicle spirits continue to haunt I suggest using your preisthood to stupefy them...just an idea. Or perhaps sacrifice one of your rabbits to them and they'll leave you be. Or just get sea monkeys for company.

Anonymous said...

There is warm homemade chicken noodle soup waiting for you when you come home.

Anonymous said...

Brother, may I attempt to add to what you have so insightfully sketched. I remember the first time I went hunting with the boys. It was for sport more than hunger, and as I gutted the thing that which I had not killed, I felt an awkwardness of “is this necessary?” stirring in my heart. The sticky warmth clinging to my hand captured later in a phrase, “as I felt the life drain out…” still brings back those feelings. I have since rationalized and convinced myself that if such needs ever be, than I must.
To the Californian, shame on yourself for the unrealistic assent for things which come as convenience. You have fooled me and found me weak, but I being a divine creation hold in my mind the ability to change my surroundings in order to create stability and comfort. Even the act of building simple functional furniture can bring such feelings of sincerity to my soul. Perhaps we should turn back to a way of life driven by survival and need, versus employment and entertaining.
I do not think it’s a matter of going Stone Age to achieve this harmony, just a matter of reflection and blessing counting. Reading of mans sacrifices to bring about safety and peace can bring one to appreciate his surroundings and motivate to not neglect. To live is to not take for granted.
P.S. I despise cubicles, and the hypnotic power they posses to convince us of some great need to dwell within them. A pellet for you Mr. Rat?

Grifter said...

this is very good content. i have been thinking about some of these ideas recently. this reminded me of Joe Bennion. I don't know if you are familiar with him...he is a potter from Spring City, UT, and I've always agreed with his ideas about production, reliance, etc.

you're a good guy.

G-man said...

Z

I am grateful for folks of your ilk as well.

You should eat some of the fish you have caught. For no other reason than the introspection that will result. Frankly, it will probably be a feeling of revulsion. Why you feel that way is a question of utmost importance.

I spent all my aquarium and Sea Monkey on my 360. I stand by my decision.

G-man said...

Goddess-

It took me a minute to understand the full meaning of your comment.

Very clever my love.

G-man said...

Big Jake-

It took a multiple readings, but I think I understand your points.

Thank you for always reading and commenting. "A pellet for you Mr. Rat?" So good!

By the way, the Trooper will be laid to rest sooner than later.

G-man said...

Grift,

Thanks for commenting. I look forward to your comments especially.

Also, thanks for the link. What an extraordinary life that family leads. I am envious.

Soon, I will be breaking my own rules and posting links. I think you'll find some of them most interesting if your philosophies align with Joe Bennion's.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

G-man said...

I am finding that Brazilians love this blog.

John said...

Hey Greg, I hardly ever put comments on people's blogs, but I do check your blog often. I think you're right on about our culture.
We've "progessed" to the point that everything is canned, as you put it.
I like how Devo responded when asked why they wore plastic ken doll hair. "We're just adapting to the corporate fuedal state we live in."