Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Borinquen




This is my favorite photo of the whole trip. The Goddess and her brother at the beach that they frequented as children.

Wow.

Just wow.

I recently had one the great experiences of my life. Sorry that I haven’t posted in a while. I have a legitimate excuse. I just spent nearly two weeks in the land of my wife’s ancestors; Puerto Rico. What a beautiful piece of Earth! I can see why Puerto Ricans love their island so much.
The greatest thing I took with me from Puerto Rico was a sense of the "largeness" of our Earth. ‘Tis a good thing to realize our own little boundaries and preconceptions.



The Goddess & yours truly enjoying the sun and sand


These folks were so hospitable. They put all six of us up in their home. They fed us. They drove us anywhere that our hearts desired. They laughed with and at us. They talked of serious and light hearted matters. I learned about a culture and history that is not my own, but I feel a great obligation to understand. I feel like I know my wife better now. I learned so much about what being a family is all about. The idea of taking care of each other and taking time for one another is not lost on them. If you are reading this mi familia, know that I am grateful from my little toe to the tip of my tallest hair for your unmatched hospitality.


The beach. What can I say? Is there a bad beach? Not on Puerto Rico. The weather was perfect. The wildlife was new and exciting. We rode the coast on a Sunday afternoon. Bikers were out in swarms (there are few, if any, Harley snobs there). Live music was playing. Dominicans were frying the finest foods on the sides of the highways. There were political rallies that make ours look like sacrament meeting. Smiling faces and beggars at stop lights. Little Iguanas and big Iguanas. Lizards, lizards, and more lizards. The food was so good, my tongue wanted to slap my face off. Warm rain. Fresh lemonade every stinkin’ mornin’. Happy children and tired eyes. Rich, Old World Spanish culture. Swimming every single day. Folk music (gosh, I love street musicians). Colorful homes. Laid back people who I believe have the capacity to enjoy life better than we do. Ten percent higher cost of living. Horribly dubbed eighties action movies. Hospitality, hospitality, hospitality!!!!


I could write pages and pages. But, it has taken a week and a half to work up this trite post that does little justice to the experience. It was a once in a lifetime event, which cannot be topped. I am so glad that we were able to take all of the kids and the Goddess’ parents and brother’s family. Having them there enriched the experience all the more.


At any rate, go there! It is beautiful beyond description.


This was kind of a rite passage into my newly acquired status of Honorary Puerto Rican. This is as close to Puerto Rican as I'll come because I don't drink or dance! But I did make babies with one......top that!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in your world. I understand it well. It has become part of me, but just part. I hope the time in P.R. has become part of you too.

Thanks for loving me for me. I love you too.

G-man said...

Indeed it has Goddess. The thanks is all my mine.

See you at home love.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys got to take the whole family to PR. I'm sure it was a trip they'll always remember. I'm jealous that you got to go swimming every day! And Goddess, you look GREAT!! As do you G-man.

Grifter said...

very cool. this has only made me more stir crazy, but it gives me something to look forward to. my wife went to Puerto Rico years ago, and to this day she still talks about how beautiful it was.

G-man said...

Kerrie,

It is so nice to see that you dropped by. We scrimped and saved and were selfish, but the trip was indeed worth it.

The Goddess is indeed living up to her name sake. Thanks for the complement, you still look about 20 yourself! Take care of the stinkers.

Love,
G

G-man said...

Grifter,
As always, thanks for taking the time to comment.

I think the island is rife with good experiences. At the very least, and I mean the very least, it could be great cruise fodder.

Your wife, and her savant-like memory, are correct!

ibid said...

G: That place looks great. I, however, will never be going there and will have to take your word for it.

This is not because I don't want to visit paradise, but rather because of the genetic disaster that is my sweaty ass. It is the sweatiest and thusly I try and avoid overly humid places. I am not using hyperbole in any form, it has been tested and measured and submitted to Guinness' book only to be turned away due to it's inappropriate nature.

Perhaps this was too much information.

Only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

Yea ibid, too much info.

G-man said...

Ibid,

I have seen this ass sweat that you write of.

It is a thing to behold. You are wise to not expose it.

melissa t. said...

I am sure the beaches were 10 times better in person, but the pics of it are beautiful! What an opportunity to go with family, I am glad you took it.

Jake said...

The goddess looks incredible!! ...I'll have whatever she's eating.

G-man said...

Uhhhhh Jake....

that's why she's called the Goddess.

Thanks for dropping by.

Charlene said...

Hi guys!
Awesome pictures! I think it's awesome you 2 were 'selfish' and went on such a wonderful trip! GOOD FOR YOU!
You look amazing, and happy...

I've been reading the blog for a couple of weeks now... G-man, I love how you speak of the Goddess... xoxox

love, Auntie

Anonymous said...

I’m not a jogger. It took me 2 years to master a 5k jogging plan. I actually enjoy it now. I’ve moved on to harder workouts like PX90. I don’t recommend this program unless you prepare by doing Slim in 6 first!

I meet with crazy, exercise-freak friends Mon-Fri. Competition is a great motivator. Stop eating 3 hrs. before you go to bed. Don’t eat before you exercise, & exercise in the morning. Eat whatever you want! Eat smaller portions, & be patient.

You can do it!

Goddess

G-man said...

Melissa,

Thanks for commenting. I think I left a few snotty comments at your site, I hope you didn't take them too seriously.

Love

Unca G

G-man said...

Auntie Char,

I am so glad to see you here!! It has been far too long since we talked. Especially since, for a time, you were a mother to me.

I expect a comment every time I post. Don't be shy...step right up.

Much love,

Gregory

G-man said...

Hey Goddess! Don't hijack my comments section with yer' stinkin' exercise talk.

The sheer audacity! This display of unadulterated effrontery makes my blood boil.

Such shameless boldness. Such insolent heedlessness.

Oh, the aching humanity of it all.

Anonymous said...

Uh, against the protests of my mentor, I must ask the goddess if the PX90 was really worth the purchase price. I've viewed the infomercial many a times at 5AM prior to the end of shift and am currious. Big Jake (I would like to be Medium Jake:)

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA!!! Ok Greg, this is the last time I promise!

Big Jake soon to be med. Jake, I didn't buy it. It's my friend's & it is a torrent copy.

G-man said...

You know I am a paper tiger darlin'. Hijack my comments section at any time my love.

From,

The King of all Lovers

G-man said...

Big Jake,

I too am fat.

Nancy said...

Hey I didn't know you went - very jealous. Sounds like you had fun. Keep me posted with zoning.

G-man said...

Nancy,

Why would I talk about zoning here? Silly Nancy. When are you going to let me read your blog, hmmmmmm?

Thanks for commenting, you know that you are always welcome here.

I hope that the "civilian" world is treating you well.