Monday, July 21, 2008

First Things First




I love fishing!

I never do enough of it.

This time was special. It was special because it was the perfect fishing day. Which is rare, so rare in fact, that it is the first time that it has happened to me. I have also had a perfect fishing night, but only once.

The day was perfect. The sky was slightly overcast. The wind was blowing mildly, like the hot breath of Jezebel. My boys were with me. It wasn't just the weather that was perfect, it was everything. We left on time. The truck has no serious malfunctions, the boat had no serious malfunctions, everyone had a life jacket, everyone remembered their license, we had enough gear, the gear that we did have was in good condition, and we caught fish like we were the last source of bait left on the planet.

The fish varied in size from normal planters to big ol' suckers. We caught Rainbow Trout, Cutbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout and even one Tiger Trout. The highlight of the day for me was catching the Cutthroat seen below. It is the biggest Trout I have ever caught.



I eat the fish I catch if they are large enough. I don't have any problem with the catch and release crowd, although they seem to have a problem with me. I think that once in a while, it would do them good to harvest some of the fish that they catch. Killing and eating food is a lesson that can only be learned by doing it. I believe that doing this fosters a complete respect for the creatures that are killed for my benefit. It makes this gluttonous fat guy a little less gluttonous.


8 comments:

Jake said...

Thanks for posting this. I have so many good memories of Scofield. I would have sold a digit to be there...but I'm excited that you get to build those memories with your fam.

ibid said...

my eyes are green with what indeed sounds like a perfect day. My rod a reel sit dusty in storage. sad. (that could be misread)

missed you again on the interweb. next time.

ibid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
G-man said...

Professor,

We missed you there. In fact, you were brought up a few times. What else can I say? Who knows what October might bring?

Love ya'

G-man said...

Z,

Yes, perhaps next time. I have ordered the KVM switch that I need, and I'm afraid I'll be playing more often after I install it. The Professor and I could have used you in our last battles!

As far as the ol' rod and reel; you live in Colorado mate! No excuses! That state has some of the best fishing on the planet. And Lindsey is there with you. (that should cover all multiple meanings)

Next time.

G-man said...

Z,

Yes, perhaps next time. I have ordered the KVM switch that I need, and I'm afraid I'll be playing more often after I install it. The Professor and I could have used you in our last battles!

As far as the ol' rod and reel; you live in Colorado mate! No excuses! That state has some of the best fishing on the planet. And Lindsey is there with you. (that should cover all multiple meanings)

Next time.

Kelli France said...

You deserve a perfect fishing day Greg! I would have sold Jake's digit to be there too!

G-man said...

Hey Belly,

Thank you for commenting. I haven't heard from you in an age. It would have been awesome to have you and the pipsqueeks there.

Love 'ya sis